Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

For the first time in a long time, I'm back, baby!

1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?

ALL THE THINGS.  Scout's birthday was last week, which means guests and a party and general chaos.  He's 11 now.  This year, he also got to take part in the annual 5th grade vs. teachers basketball game (which the 5th graders won by one point).  There's also a lot of things going on with him with actual Scouts--he's in the process of transitioning from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts, which is more activities, but he's enjoying it.

Sunshine has had dance classes and after school fitness/wellness stuff and Girl Scouts and cookie sales and...well, that's all...but isn't that enough?
2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

Not really a made-up word, but kind of a mishmash of a couple things from my children's childhood.  They always called my grandmother Super Nana, mostly because I had told my son that she was his great-grandmother.  He knew "great" also meant "super", and the name kind of stuck.  She loved it.  I thought it made her sound like a super hero.

3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-

clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets

Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?

Of those fifteen, the ceiling fans DEFINITELY need my attention, and then probably the baseboards.  The fans will get done...I may make someone smaller than me take care of the baseboards.

4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?

Well, I seem to remember the X-Men series being set in New York...

5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

The birds outside my window.  True, right now they're squawking and I can practically hear them saying, "HEY, LADY, YOUR BIRD FEEDER IS EMPTY AND WE'RE HUNGRY" but still.  It's nice to have them back.

6. Did you ever want to be a teacher? Why or why not?

For a while, yes I did.  I don't recall what exactly the appeal was, but it didn't last long.  

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume? How do you feel about florals in food? How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay?

Lavender.  I always have some lavender essential oil around somewhere--the kids love it because it helps them sleep, I love it because it helps the kids sleep...

Florals in food--It's a nice looking effect, but I have a hard time with the idea of eating a flower.

Wine with floral notes--done right, it's very nice.  I tend to prefer a sweeter wine, though.
8. Insert your own random thought here.

Today's schedule includes (counts on fingers) eight stops.  I'm already tired thinking about it.  (I'm writing this on Tuesday morning, though, to avoid the REAL busy day that will be tomorrow.)

6 comments:

  1. Children have a way of keeping us pretty busy, that's for sure. Those days are, for the most part, over for us. Enjoy it while you can. The time passes far too quickly and one day you're sitting at home wondering, "What do I do NOW?" The song "You're Gonna Miss This" sure hits the nail on the head, because I do.

    How sweet that your son called your grandma "Super Nana". I think that grandmas are super heroes, too. :)

    I love watching the bird families come to the feeder. We have one finally up again after several years of not having one. I know it will take a while for them to get used to the idea of it being out there. The cardinal families are fun to watch and so sweet.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you. I'm still baffled that my son is 11 now, because I swear I taught him to tie his shoes last week...

      I hope you get lots of beautiful birds visiting your feeder soon!

      Delete
  2. I was both a girl scout and a boy scout. My mom was a troop leader and I had to go to the meetings. I participated in most of the activities. This time in their lives is so special. I enjoyed scouting when we had good leaders. Some were not so good. Hope she sold lots of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lot of fun...though I'm sure it was incredibly busy at the time! We are blessed to have some outstanding troops. Sunshine sold 300 boxes of cookies, so at least she definitely hit her goal!

      Delete
  3. You are in a busy season of child raising! I love Super Grandma. My niece called one of her grandmothers Crazy Grandma or sometimes just Crazy because when she was small her mother once referred to your 'crazy grandma'. The name stuck and she embraced it : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, "crazy grandma" is great! I better not try that with my mother-in-law, though...

      Delete