Monday, June 4, 2012

Farmer's Market Monday: First day of the season

I love farmer's markets. The people there are just amazing, and the variety of booths...wow. Today the market seemed a bit more expensive than the grocery store. The strawberries were $5 per pound, and at the store they're half that, that sort of thing. It'll get better as summer goes on, of that I am sure. But I did buy a few things. There was a booth run by ladies who were giving away samples of their salsas, and I bought a jar of their Extra Hot (which is, indeed, extra hot--and extra wonderful). I also got a jar of low sugar strawberry jam. Then we wandered over to the area my son kept trying to drag me over to and bought some cookies the size of my head. All over the place people were barbecuing and selling fresh pirogi batches and popping kettle corn...oh I love farmer's markets. I was just a little dismayed at the prices for produce. And local wines. Next time, I'll bring more cash so I can score a bottle. For now, though, I've been contemplating that jar of jam. And the pie crust in the refrigerator that I've got to do something about. And maybe, just maybe, getting some lemon curd tomorrow so I can make lemon strawberry tarts. If they work, you'll be hearing all about them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment