Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

It's not quite the "late show" version, but....heeeeeeeeeere's Hodgepodge!


1. What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general?

Genuinely not sure.  I don't want to think I've lost the ability to be surprised, but very little surprises me these days.

2. Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year...awesomesaucebeer o'clockbrain fartbuttdialcat cafe (apparently this is a real thing), fatberg (gross-read the definition here)fat shamehangry,Mx (gender neutral), and skippable. 

Your thoughts? In looking over the list, which word do you find most ridiculous? Which word would you never in a million years say out loud? Which word would you be most likely to use in conversation?

Ugh, ugh, ugh.  I like to think I would never say "fatberg" out loud, but I have used the phrases "brain fart" and "buttdial".   I would absolutely go to a cat cafe...but if that's what I wanted, I'll make my own cup of coffee and pet my own cat.

3. Do you like gravy? Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy? Do you make your own or buy the canned or store-made variety? Turkey and gravy, sausage gravy, mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast and gravy...which one on the list is your favorite?

I like gravy, but don't require it as such.  If I'm making it, it's likely to be from-scratch sausage gravy served over biscuits.

What is chocolate gravy?  I think I'd try that.
4. Do you have a plan? Do you need a plan? Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces? Explain.

I laughed at this, because parent-teacher conferences were last week.  My husband was out of town, and the neighbor lady's husband was out of town, and so the neighbor lady and I took turns watching each other's kids while we went to conferences.  That doesn't seem like it should have been a big deal to plan, but somehow we managed to make it a thing.  Anyway, Sunshine's teacher tells me she's very methodical and will be a notorious list-maker when she's older.

In a nutshell, yes, I like plans.  I can barely get through the day without saying "Okay, first I'm gonna do this, then I'm gonna go here, then I need to come home and work on this other stuff, then..."

It almost never works that way.  And most of the time, that's a really minor thing.
5. November 19 is National Play Monopoly Day. Do you own the original or some version of the game? Do you enjoy playing Monopoly? How likely is it you'll play a game of Monopoly on November 19th? Ever been to Atlantic City? Ever taken a ride on a railroad? Is parking in your town free? Last thing you took a chance on?

I actually have two versions of Monopoly.  We have the original version, and we have the electronic version (which is nice because there's no loose bits of paper to go EVERYWHERE when the box inevitably gets dropped).  We didn't play it today (the kids were at school, then at scouts, then doing homework) but that's life.  I've never been to Atlantic City, and I'm genuinely not sure how interested I am in doing so--nothing I've heard about it makes it sound appealing.  I have taken a ride on the railroad, and let me take a minute to say that I do love Amtrak.  Sure, it takes a long time, but it's pleasant and relaxing and I can take my OWN sandwiches, thankyouverymuch.  Parking is free in parts of town--other parts it's rather expensive.  Last thing I took a chance on...I really don't know.

6. A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning?

For the Beauty Of The Earth

7. In keeping with this month's theme of gratitude....what is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for?

clean water.  I mean really.  It's hard to stay healthy without it.
A roof over my head.  It's easy to fall into the assumption that everyone has it, but it's a definite luxury.
My kids.  They drive me insane, but getting them here was HARD and I'm glad they're mine.
8. Insert your own random thought here.

I am stupidly excited for next week.  I haven't seen my sister in a long time.  We're going what I would term "back home" for Thanksgiving, and the kids will be taking their first ride in an airplane (Heaven help us!) and all misgivings aside, I hope it's as great in reality as it is in my heart already.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you're going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I haven't been able to be back home in eleven years now...and many of those that were there when I left are now in Heaven. I have the memories of Thanksgivings past...and I bet you and your kids are going to make some great ones. Their first plane ride, eh? I remember my first. I was already an adult (about 21 years old), but so scared and shaky that I had my husband nervous, too, and he'd been on planes before. I got a window seat so that I could see what was going on outside and in all the amazement of seeing the earth from the sky, I lost my nervousness. I enjoyed it very much. :) Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Dropping by from HodgePodge. And now I realize I didn't answer the question about my favourite gravy. Off to edit my post.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving and all goes to plan - and if not enjoy it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete