Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. I read here four creative activities to try this month. They were-calligraphy, make your own cookbook, dance or learn a new type of dance, and letter writing. Which activity on the list appeals to you most? Will you add it to your August? 

Probably make a cookbook.  I started a project some time ago for each of my kids, where I'd write down recipes I'd made that they enjoyed so they would have a collection of recipes when they moved out.  Now that Scout is full-tilt into learning to cook, it's time to get that project back out again.  (He's been making mac and cheese ever since I said something about it on Facebook...people at church keep requesting it!)

2. Bertrand Russell is quoted as saying, 'To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.' Agree or disagree? Explain. 

I think I agree.  Once you have everything you want, it seems like it'd be easy to stop trying.  That would be sad.

3. August 17th is National Thriftshop Day...are you a 'thrifter'? If so, tell us about one of your best or favorite finds. 
Not...really.  We don't have any good thrift stores close by.  I envy the people that find something simple and turn it into something fabulous, but that's never been my superpower.

4.  On a scale of 1-10 (with 1= almost none and 10=loads) how would you rate your sense of wanderlust? What kicks your wanderlust into high gear? 
I would guess it's about a 5.  It once was much, much higher, but I've been told to stay and keep waiting for so long that I'm not sure I want to go most of the places that were once on my "bucket list". 

5. Has life felt more like a marathon or sprint so far this month? How so?
This entire YEAR has felt like a sprint.  August is calmer, but still full of things.  Summer camp and a weekend of camping as a family and appointments and school starting and...oof.

6. What do you need to get a jump on before fall officially arrives? 
cleaning up this mess.

7. What's the last thing you did with friends or family where you lost track of time? 
A couple weeks ago, one of my friends (and the mother of one of Sunshine's friends) invited us over to spend an afternoon together while Scout was at church camp.  The girls played and we talked and before I knew it, it was four hours later and we had to go so we could have dinner ready when my husband got home.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
Sunshine's next procedures have been scheduled for the end of the month, and I still don't know what time she's supposed to be at the hospital.  Very frustrating.

4 comments:

  1. I love to shop thrift stores, flea markets, etc. but turning something old into something fabulous isn't my super power, either. I don't look at something and see something better. Thank goodness for Pinterest. Now I can say "I like that" and go see if I can find what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like some of the things that show up on Pinterest...but I don't often get to try them out :)

      Delete
  2. Not my superpower either : ) I hope you get that time confirmation soon. I think it makes challenging situations more manageable when we can wrap our heads around the details. I put all of our holiday recipes in binders for my girls one Christmas and they enjoy that. I wrote them all by hand because I think it's nice to have your mom's recipes in your mom's handwriting. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--I don't much care for my own handwriting, but everything I find that my mother scribbled something on is like a treasure to me.

      Delete