Friday, July 29, 2016

CSA

At the beginning of the year, we signed up for a CSA package.  So far, it's been amazing.  We've eaten more vegetables, more fruit, and different cheeses, we've gotten jars of raw honey and good maple syrup, and locally made tomatillo salsa, and it's been fantastic.

But then it gets overwhelming.  To be fair, it's been kind of a crazy summer, and our ability to stay home has been uncertain to say the least.  I'm trying to keep up with the vegetables, but it hasn't worked well (and that's after two weeks of eating nothing but salads for lunches).

For instance, right now, I have eight ears of corn, eight HUGE zucchini, four cucumbers, a pound of beets, two pounds of green beans, a whole LOT of salad greens, four pounds of peaches, a pound of blueberries, a pound of jalapeños, and a big jar of applesauce that are all gonna go bad if I don't do something soon.  And I don't really have a good kitchen for canning a lot of stuff.

So I broke out my dehydrator.  Right now, the zucchini is in it, and it's full, and I still have one and a half zucchini left to go.  (There's more stuff from above, but if you have a dehydrator, and a small kitchen like I do, you do NOT want to dehydrate four big heads of garlic.  WHOO that gets overwhelming.)

I'll keep the green beans, the corn, and most of the peaches around.  The rest of it is all going to get dried.  I think I'll turn the vegetables into a veggie powder so as to hide it in things like meatballs and soups (THEY WILL EAT THEIR VEGETABLES, BAHAHAHA!).  The applesauce is going to make a fantastic fruit leather.

It's going to take a while to do it, and I'll have to eat some of the salad stuff while I'm at it (that's okay, I know I need to lose weight anyway), but at least it'll all get done.

A side note--I know I'm getting green tomatoes soon, and I know someone with my heritage is supposed to be super pumped about the idea of fried green tomatoes, but...they're not my thing.  What else could I make with them?

Another side note--know what's good with chevre?  EVERYTHING.

No comments:

Post a Comment