Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond


1. What pets did you have while growing up? Tell us a little something about them.
Quite a few, actually.  We had two dogs--both wonderfully sweet.  One was incredibly smart (like you could tell him to pick up his toys and he'd do it), and the other was one of the dumbest creatures ever called into existence.  Also two cats--again, total opposites.  One was a good mouser and was a loving cat; the other was a lazy, mean, hissing ball of spite and fangs.
Also, birds.  Mom loved finches, and we had a number of them over the years. 

2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?
I have to get a new coffee grinder.  the lid on mine (that actually operates the grinding mechanism) snapped this morning.  If I go through tomorrow without coffee, I will also snap.

3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?
Living in our former city, working for the local government.  I miss having a job--sometimes.

4. September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi...which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?
I did! I made gnocchi sautéed in sage butter.  I've tried making homemade pirogi before (because I wanted a gluten free version) and it was sort of a mess and it was hard with limited space, but it turned out..well actually it turned out kind of meh.  I've also made chicken and dumplings before, it was tasty and I had fun making it.

5. 'There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't.' William Trogdon

So which kind are you?
I would like to say I truly hope to find an adventure, but right now I'm a little tired of adventures and I would like to just quietly enjoy a day.

6. Insert your own random thought here.
At long last, the contractors are done.  And just in time for an overwhelming amount of fundraiser information to be coming home.  I understand the need for them but I kind of wish they'd just ask me for a check.  Until then, if you need candles, candy, nuts, magazines, cookie dough, or popcorn....and no, I'm not joking.  That's an incomplete list of the stuff my children are currently selling.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the fundraisers. I much rather write the check. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're lucky this year, because our middle school is offering us the opportunity for their "anti-fundraiser", similar to the one that was going around on social media a couple years ago...so I can just write them a check. I still need to do it, but at least they're making it an option.

      Delete
  2. It really says something about our school systems when the kids have to do the work of the adults working for the school district with fundraising. It happens here, too. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--it's a lot to ask of a bunch of young children!

      Delete