Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge

AUGH these weeks keep sneaking by...I have barely started any Christmas shopping, like, at all, and it's almost here!!!


1.  Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.

Not particularly...though I do have a lingering Christmas memory from many years ago.  It was Christmas Eve, and my father had just come home from work.  He was in the process of setting his things down in the kitchen when his coat let out a tiny "yip!"

He reached into the inner pocket and took out a tiny black lab puppy.

That dog grew up to be one of the dumbest creatures I've ever seen, but she was sweet and she was our Christmas dog.

2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?

Not particularly in general.  It really depends on what the setting is.  

3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?

Probably not.  I can't keep adding stuff while I'm trying to REMOVE stuff.  And who at Pantone keeps making these decisions for us?  And PINK? Perhaps no.

I tend toward darker colors in my wardrobe anyway--not necessarily because I feel suited to dark colors, but mostly because I don't like trying to remove stains.

4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?

I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day.  God is not dead, nor does He sleep.  I think it's a reminder we can all use once in a while.

5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?

Probably not, but not because I don't love pastries!  Last time I purchased something from a bakery was Thanksgiving, when my sister left me in charge of bringing pies, so I went to a place that sells Kansas City's favorite pies and picked up a pumpkin pie and a French silk pie, because that's how we roll.  In a nutshell, I love pie.  I haven't made one in a long, long time--I REALLY need to get cracking on figuring out gluten-free pie crust!

6. When it comes to holiday decorating_____________________________.

I...got the Christmas tree out of the attic?  I'm not sure how time got away from us this year, but I don't think we're gonna be decorating much.  :(

7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.

Last week.  I had told my kids the story of how, the day they went back to school after Thanksgiving break, I had heard a heavy footfall coming down the stairs, and without even thinking about it, I had responded by asking my son how he was that morning.

The cat responded, "meow?"

Scout was at school.  The heavy footfalls were the cat's.

My kids laughed, I laughed, we all laughed until we ached.  Then Sunshine, master of VERY DEEP quotes, commented that she loves it when laughter makes her eyes wet.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

God is not dead, nor does He sleep.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this post, including your choice of Carols. I would be thrilled if Mr. C. brought home a wee German Shepherd puppy in his pocket, but... I like the story of the footfalls. When we still had Lionel, he and Tuppence would spend the evenings literally thundering back and forth upstairs, chasing each other. It was loud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carol you chose is one of my favorites! A puppy for Christmas...can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the puppy story and had to chuckle with your "cat footfall" account. And thanks for reminding us again that God is indeed not dead nor does he sleep. Love that beautiful carol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you haven't heard the Casting Crowns version of I Heard the Bells, definitely look for it. One of my favorites this time of year! There are loads of gluten free pastry recipes on Pinterest. Hope you find something, although I'm sure the bakery pies were delicious too.

    ReplyDelete