Sunday, July 19, 2015

On not mourning the passage of time...or not.

We dropped Scout off at his favorite church camp this afternoon.  I would moan about his absence this week, because his absence WILL make things boring, but...

I'm too busy being proud.  He has learned more about nature, and horses, and God through these experiences than he ever would have had the chance to do, otherwise.  He was excited for this week, and I'm excited for him.

I don't like to bicker over denominational differences.  At all.  But this is one thing our denomination does that I fully, without hesitation, agree with: outdoor experiences are integral to our understanding of nature, the world we live in, and how to be a good steward of it.

I would despair that my son is gone for the week, but he isn't doing the same.  I would be bored, but who could do that with a trip to the amusement park and the bowling alley and the hospital in the offing for this week alone?  It's only a week, not all summer (like I hear stories about!), and I can do this for a week.

Admittedly, it was on my mind earlier...he is halfway to being a full-fledged adult, and there's already so much I haven't taught him.  He knows how to keep his room clean and do his laundry, but what about dishes?  And what about meals?

But right now, he's taking care of a horse.  My nine-year-old son is taking care of a horse.  He's good with them, I've seen it with my own eyes.  He barely has to whisper to them, and they listen.  He strokes them with no trace of anything but love.  He knows how to groom his horse.

I am too busy being proud.  He is already too busy caring for the animals he loves so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment