Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. Is your home air conditioned? If it's not air conditioned, is that by choice? Did you grow up with air conditioning? If not how did you cope with the heat? Share about a time or place you remember as being too hot-the temperature kind of hot, lest anyone be confused.

Yes, our home is air conditioned.  I don't remember how old I was when we got air conditioning in our home when I was a child, but I do remember being relieved because growing up in 100+ degree heat is wearying without a bit of relief--though that may be why we spent Saturdays at the movies or the mall.

Our first summer in the city we live in now, we were in an apartment without air conditioning.  And it turned out to be an unusually hot summer for these parts.  For several days the kids and I just toughed it out in front of fans and with lots of  water.

2. What's something in your life right now that falls under the heading 'up in the air'?

There's a cat that has taken up residence in my back yard.  He's wearing a harness, so he has a previous home, but I can't get near enough to him to see any other identifiers.  I put the word out to my local friends, circulated a photo, and I'm hoping he finds his way home soon.  He seems nice but he's quite afraid of us.

3. Your favorite light and airy dessert?

I have a recipe somewhere for a pumpkin angel food cake.  It is lightly sweet and perfect with a cup of coffee.  (I can't have it anymore until I find a gluten-free angel food cake mix...so if anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.)

4. When did you last feel like you were 'floating on air'?

We dropped Scout off at camp on Sunday.  I miss him, and yesterday Sunshine started moaning about how BORED she is without him, but two things...first, I am extraordinarily proud of Scout, because he's smart and capable and brave; second, I am very grateful my two get along.  

5. Airport, airmail, airtight, airhead...which have you most recently encountered? Explain.

Airhead.  I was at Jo-Ann a few days ago, buying some smocked fabric (which is the make-a-dress-in-five-minutes sort of thing) and the lady at the fabric counter asked me what I was making.  I suspect it's a reflex for her, but it kind of made me chuckle and I briefly entertained the notion of telling her we'd be making pot holders.

6.  Have you ever been to the Alps? If so where did you go? If not, is this a destination on your must-see list? If you were headed that direction this summer, which of the following would be your preferred activity...a gentle walk, a serious walk, a bike ride, a boat ride around one of the lakes, or summer snow skiing?

No, I've never been, and I doubt I will.  If there's any international travel in my future, there's things I'd like to see first.  However, if I ever make it to the Alps, a serious walk is going to be the first thing on my list, followed by a boat ride.

7. What is one saying or phrase that was considered 'cool' when you were growing up?

Probably "Gag me!"  Hated it then, hate it still.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

The weather has been so off-kilter this summer.  I'll be grateful when fall gets here and the evenings are cooler.

11 comments:

  1. Pumpkin angel food cake? I've never tried that, but am curious about it now. Might have to look or a recipe. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the recipe for you--enjoy!http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pumpkin-angel-food-cake

      (And good luck with the lake house, hope construction goes quickly!)

      Delete
  2. There were some weird sayings in the 80's, weren't there? (At least I think it was from the 80's...maybe late 70's?) I'm going to check out that recipe, too....love pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I'm not sure when the saying originated, but I am definitely a child of the 80s. Though both decades were a little odd...

      Delete
  3. Poor kitty!! :-( Hope you can find his owner.

    There are several gf flour mixes out there now that can be used in place of regular flour. I don't know how they'd work with angel food cake, but it might be worth a try. What's the worst that could happen, right? Pumpkin sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, I'm sure someone misses him!

      I do have a gf flour mix, but I've yet to have much success. :( Maybe it's time to find the gluten free bakery and see if they sell cake mixes...

      Delete
  4. Gag me! lol I forgot about that expression. Yes, it's pretty annoying... or "gross" !! I have 3 feral kitties that found me, and that I have fixed and now feed outdoors. Each has a different personality. One loves loving, one occasionally will let me pet her, the other won't get near! But they keep my yard free of snakes and other varmits, so for that I appreciate them VERY much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point, I haven't seen any voles in my yard lately (normally, they're everywhere)...

      Delete
  5. I never did care for nor use "gag me" I hear it on satellite radio 80's on 8's and it is like nails on a chalkboard to me! I hope the cat finds his home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to fall as well, even though we had a very rainy summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been rainy here too. Fresh apple season can never come soon enough for me!

      Delete