Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Making yogurt!

I know I said it wasn't going to be today's post...but it's been one of those days.  I'm not feeling well (but if a sore throat and a touch of fatigue are the worst of my complaints, I've got it good) and don't really feel up to writing tonight.  But days like this are exactly what made me decide to try to do this.

I made yogurt yesterday.  I follow the instructions that are on Crockpot365, at least mostly.  Her instructions include times for everything; but I've been doing this long enough to know that my crock pot is old and cannot do things at the same rate as hers.  After careful reading, I've learned the temperatures involved and have been using my candy thermometer to do this ever since.

This is my general rundown:

INGREDIENTS:
1 half gallon 2% milk
1/2 cup live active plain yogurt
1/2 cup dry nonfat powdered milk (optional)
1/2 cup sugar (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Pour that half gallon of milk in your crockpot.  Turn it to low.  Check the temperature every hour or so--Crockpot 365 says this step takes 2 1/2 hours, I've discovered mine takes more like 3 1/2.  Either way, get your milk up to 180 degrees.

ONCE IT'S THAT HOT, turn off your crock pot and let it sit for a few hours.  Your target temperature this time is 110 degrees.  (Otherwise it'll kill the live active cultures in the yogurt--kind of like making bread.  Start off with your liquid too hot, and the yeast doesn't do anything at all.)

Scoop out some of the milk from your crock pot.  Mix it with your yogurt and your powdered milk.  If you're using the sweetener and the vanilla, add it now.  Stir the mixture back into your warm milk in your crock pot.

A note, before I go on:  the powdered milk is optional.  I add it mostly because, otherwise, this recipe tends to be a bit on the thin side for my tastes.

Now for the strange part:  Put the lid back on, then wrap your crock pot in a heavy blanket.  Fold up another heavy blanket and put it on top.  Scoot everything away from the reach of marauding toddlers.

Wait eight hours.

Unwrap everything, and behold your glorious homemade yogurt.

Then scoop it into jars for storing in the refrigerator.  I usually put 1/2 cup into its own tiny container and stash it in the freezer--that way, I don't have to buy another tub of yogurt to do my next batch!

This will keep for about a week to a week and a half.

But what if I'm lactose intolerant?


I've never tried it with soy milk or the like, but I have friends...the general impression I've gotten is: almond milk works a lot better than soy milk.  Instead of the milk powder I have seen recommendations to use tapioca starch in its place.

SO now I have fresh yogurt in my refrigerator.  I'm gonna have a big scoop of it tomorrow with a frozen fruit cup (thawed of course, eating a big frozen chunk of anything does not sound groovy).


With a little luck, tomorrow will be a craft thing day.

No comments:

Post a Comment