Friday, May 18, 2012

SOS Mix

Before I begin, I should mention that at least for a while, this is going to look a lot like my Pinterest boards.  The difference is mostly going to be that the stuff I'm putting here is stuff I have tried and will do again.

So like I mentioned yesterday, I like to cook.  And a lot of times, that involves cans of cream of whatever soup.  (Most recipes are specific--cream of mushroom, cream of broccoli, and so on...but I decided a long time ago, I don't care.)  Canned cream soup comes, usually, with a number of considerable drawbacks.

First, although it isn't a diet plan I follow, several of my friends do...and they tell me it's difficult to find gluten free cream soup.  Of course, you could make your own, but that's time consuming and not that easy to store without a lot of freezer space.

Second, have you ever looked at the sodium content of a can of cream soup?  It's terrifying!  I don't tend to make a huge fuss over most labels--sodium and cholesterol are two of the places I'll make an exception.

There's a number of things I'm sure I'm forgetting, but those are my two main ones.

So when I joined Pinterest and started reading One Good Thing by Jillee, one of the first things she posted that I read was about a bag of Soup or Sauce Mix her neighbor gave her.

Effectively, it's a powdered mix using ingredients available in most kitchens that you can use to make sauces.  Or the equivalent of a can of cream of chicken soup.

The ingredients are:
2 cups powdered non-fat dry milk (which is available at most grocery stores, either in the baking aisle or near the evaporated milk)
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant chicken bouillon (regular or low-sodium--I used low sodium)
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
2 tsp Italian seasoning (optional)

Mix well and place into a resealable container (whether it's a bag, a jar, whatever you want to use)

To use, mix 1/3 cup of the mix with 1 1/4 cups cold water and simmer till it's creamy.

There's a wealth of information available at the link above--Jillee includes pictures and lots of wonderful information.

I've used it in a number of recipes so far, and I honestly don't know that I'll buy cream of whatever soup again anytime soon.  It isn't something I just eat on a regular basis, it's always been recipes, and flavor wise?  This is almost better.  I think it's creamier, and I KNOW it's less salty.

Anyway, that's my bright spot for the day.  Maybe tomorrow's will include pictures!  I DID find my camera battery...

No comments:

Post a Comment