Friday, November 9, 2012

30 Days of Gratitude--Day 8

So, um, I forgot this yesterday.  :(  In my defense, yesterday was nonstop chaos.

For Day 8, I am thankful for my sisters.  I am in a sorority.  I don't often mention it, not because I'm not proud (I am), but because the subject doesn't often come up.

Joining Theta Phi Alpha was the best decision I ever made.  And I mean that in full.  It is why I met my husband, it is why I finished college, it is why I have some of the best friends I could ever have asked for.

I never, even for a second, entertained the notion of joining a sorority prior to my first semester of college.  Had no interest in it.  But then I got there, and it was huge and loud and intimidating.  I was 800 miles away from the only home I'd ever known, seventeen years old, and alone.  That didn't last long--I went to the Greek mixer and wound up talking to the most amazing group of women.  After five minutes, we were talking like we were old friends who just needed to catch up a little bit.  Ten weeks later, I was initiated.  Fourteen years later, I love them with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment